[Javascript] Odd overlapping problem

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Tue Mar 8 09:43:23 CST 2005

Hello, list...

   I've discovered something very strange that may border on OT for this list, but I'm hoping some of the geniuses here will have an idea.
   Observe, if you will, the following page in IE6:

http://www.realpopup.it/ELBtest/test.html

   You should see a scrollbar that shows about half the content as being off the screen.  Above the scrollbar are some HTML dropdowns, although I can't account for the whereabouts of their arrow buttons (it's not my page, but it is my control).

   Now the fun begins.  Pull down the list in the "Tipo" column, or the one next to it; just make sure that the scrollbar is empty below the list you choose.  Now hover over one of the first options and notice how when you are in the scrollbar area, the list thinks that the bar is still over it.  The item does not change color, and if you click on it in that state, rather than selecting the item, you will scroll the page.

   In short, what the *&#!?  I've tried increasing the z-index (using my powers of URL bar javascript), but nothing seems to help.  I can *reduce* the z-index so that the bar shows *over* the droplist, but increasing it doesn't convince the page that the list is on top, even though I can clearly see it.

   Hopefully that made enough sense for you all to follow; all suggestions and/or questions are welcome.

TIA,

Peter