[Javascript] For the birds

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Wed Dec 27 11:19:36 CST 2006

At 1:07 PM -0800 12/26/06, Paul Novitski wrote:
>At 12/26/2006 08:59 AM, tedd wrote:
>>I'm trying to get a flying bird animation to work well on my site.
>>The testing page is:
>>
>>http://sperling.com/index1.php
>>
>>It seems to work well enough for Macintosh's Safari and Opera
>>browsers. But for FireFox (Mac version) it acts strange -- not all
>>of the GIF89 animation shows.
>>
>>Other than BrowserCam, I don't have the capability to view how
>>various IEs handles the animation. In IE 7, it appears to work, but
>>in IE 6 I don't see anything. But again, this is via BrowserCam's
>>remote and as such I'm not sure I'm getting an accurate view.
>

>Hi Tedd,
>
>On my WinXP laptop it works fine in Firefox 2 but in IE 6 the bird
>appears intermittently.  As the page is loading the bird appears
>momentarily over near the tree but disappears right away (probably
>as soon as the animation begins).  It reappears twice on its trip
>across my monitor doing an upward glide -- although of course it's
>supposed to be gliding down after having flapped up, hinting at a
>loss of synchrony between the GIF animation and the javascript
>animation.
>
>Good luck,
>Paul

Paul:

What I am finding is that IE 6 continues to load and reload the two
images I use to make the animation. For whatever reason, IE 6 does
not cache the two images.

Anyone have an idea or suggestion as to how to make IE 6 play well
with caching images?

Again, the page is:  http://sperling.com/index1.php  (all source code
is embedded)

Thanks,