[Javascript] Ajax question

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Sat Dec 30 14:27:56 CST 2006

At 11:39 AM -0800 12/30/06, Paul Novitski wrote:
>At 12/30/2006 09:24 AM, tedd wrote:
>>I realize that ajax is used to circumvent full page refreshes, but
>>what if you want to refresh the page AND use ajax at the same time?
>

>Tedd,
>
>I suspect that your problem is indicated by your use of the
>expression "at the same time."  Which do you want to occur first,
>the page refresh or the ajax request?  Obviously the page refresh
>must come first, otherwise the ajax-delivered content will be
>obliterated by the page refresh.
>
>I suggest you explore this path:  reload the page with a querystring
>that indicates the desired ajax request, then after page load have
>javascript collect the desired content.  Something along the lines
>of http://example.com/testpage.html?ajax=rock
>
>Regards,
>Paul

Paul:

I see and have considered the timing difference. I should have said
"I want to use ajax to send a variable and then refresh the current
page, or a redirect to any other page."

I don't want to use the form
http://example.com/testpage.html?ajax=rock  I have no problem
receiving the variable I want so there's no need for me to include
that variable in the url.

I want to use ajax in the manner of:

You see, I can send "rock" that way via ajax with no problems.

What I can't do is via a single click refresh this page, or direct
the browser to another page, via a href or whatever.

I know this is hard to understand, but just simply consider this --
if the user clicks (The CLICK) this anchor --

-- everything works. Now, how do I redirect the browser to another
page from the same user click (The CLICK)?

Thanks.

tedd

--
-------