[Javascript] 'name' property in forms not XHTML valid

Jonathan Gold johnnyclock at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 11:33:04 CST 2006

Hi!

I have some older web pages that use forms and on each one of them I
refer to a function that clears the entries, thus:

            function clearColors()
      {
            for (var i = 0; i < 3; i++)
            {
                  document.formColors.elements[i].value="";

And in the markup I use the following:

            <form id="formColors" name="formColors" action="">

And when I click on a button that says to clear the entries, the three
text input boxes are cleared. Here's the whole page:
http://home.pacbell.net/jonnygee/auxiliary/colorpage.htm

PROBLEM: nowadays, I am trying to write valid XHTML. I seem to need
the form's NAME attribute for the purpose of the javascript, but the
HTML validator tells me:

<quote>
This page is not Valid XHTML 1.0 Strict!
Below are the results of checking this document for XML
well-formedness and validity.

   1. Error Line 104 column 27: there is no attribute "name".

      <form id="formColors" name="formColors" action="">

      You have used the attribute named above in your document, but
the document type you are using does not support that attribute for
this element… </quote>

The upshot is that the 'name' attribute has been replaced with the
'id' attribute. In fact, that's why I added an id attribute in my form
tag. But without the name attribute my javascript doesn't function.

So here's the QUESTION:

How can I refer to the form, using its 'id' attribute, in my
clearColors code at the top of this message.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Jonathan