[Javascript] Working arround Active Content controls provided on IE browsers

Nick Fitzsimons nick at nickfitz.co.uk
Sun Jun 3 08:34:06 CDT 2007

In its default configuration, Internet Explorer only warns about the
possible risks of Active Content when JavaScript is loaded from the
local disk using the file: protocol, not when it is served over the
web using the http: protocol. So this is a problem that doesn't arise
for an actual web site, and is therefore not something that JS
developers usually need to worry about.

If a user chooses they can activate this warning for all Active
Content, or simply disable JavaScript completely. The way to work
around this is to use JavaScript for progressive enhancement, whereby
the site is functional, even when JavaScript is disabled, by using
the standard mechanisms of the web, and JavaScript will, if enabled,
be used to improve or enhance the user experience. Creating a site
that _requires_ JavaScript is almost never an acceptable practice. It
has been argued that the rules can be different for complex web
applications (as opposed to web sites), but even these can almost
always easily be made to offer basic functionality without JS if
planned and constructed correctly.

Regards,

Nick.