[Javascript] Using libraries for everything (Was: Listing Images on current page)

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 12:49:52 CDT 2007

On 9/6/07, Scott Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:
> "Code generation tools which pretend to abstract out something, like
> all abstractions, leak, and the only way to deal with the leaks
> competently is to learn about how the abstractions work and what they
> are abstracting. "

Well are you talking about code generation tools or APIs? I mean,
nobody takes time to learn how to set color on the monitor pixel by
pixel.

However, with libraries like jquery which have their own syntactical
dialect (rather than just APIs), you might get yourself in trouble if
you only know jquery syntax and you find a whole in the functionality.
Normally you would simply write the JavaScript to do it yourself, but
that of course assumes that you know how to do this. I personally
prefer libraries that stay true to JavaScript syntax for this
particular reason, but to each his/her own...

--
Matt Warden
Cincinnati, OH, USA