[Javascript] Accessibility (discussion)

Mike Dougherty mdougherty at pbp.com
Mon Nov 17 15:48:36 CST 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 5:23 AM, Troy III Ajnej <trojani2000 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> ...so we can exchange some of our thoughts, stands, and ideas about web accessibility issues and where does JavaScript in collaboration with DOM and CSS manipulations stand when dealing with this consideration field.Is it possible that JavaScript can do more, or even better than any browser has ever done, or is doing right now in dealing with accessibility issues atop currently served web content on the internet.Regards @all

Javascript can certainly do more as a multi-purpose tool.  My concern
is the way in which this tool is used.  I've seen too many people
enter ##javascript looking to build an "ajax site" - with no concept
of progressive enhancement or graceful degradation of features.  I
think it would be a big win if people would learn to properly separate
markup/style/behavior.  There are many excuses; most are indefensible
once the new philosophy is adopted.  I don't know how to implement,
but another improvement might be a browser add-on that clearly
identifies tutorials as out-of-date or plain bad advice.  Something
like anti-phishing checks for would-be developers to be warned away
from IE-proprietary code and antiquated markup practices.  If old
habits are hard to break, "the internet" should stop teaching bad
habits to new developers.

that's all for now, I'm starting to feel a full-blown rant coming on.  :)