[Javascript] Accessibility (discussion)

Troy III Ajnej trojani2000 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 19 22:50:13 CST 2008

Of course, JavaScript is not sufficient to cover every situation that
your code  can ran into, but the sole idea of JavaScript & DHTML
implementation was to cut the page demands on the server side as
much as possible. I still stick to this idea as one of the most beneficiary
strategies the whole web era when it comes to speed on both sides.

I just visited "news.bbc.co.uk" and they offer "low graphics" version
and "accessibility help". The low graphics version serves the simple
first (3rd) generation browser layout. Which is great for 'screen readers'.
But the "accessibility help" will only send you to the page that will
advice and teach you how to use accessibility tools available on your
operating system, but doesn't offer anything else on the site itself.

I didn't get that much of your line:
"Changing the layout to accommodate wide windows, for example",
but if I did, I think that in these cases, adding "black-bars" will be a
necessity. (Same as in screening movies with different aspect ratio).

Thanks for this advice didn't think of it before, because wide-screen
monitors when completely filled by layout width will leave very little
content in its height if the page layout was designed for 4:3 aspect
ratio.

My idea is to code the pages in 4:3 aspect conform to at least 1024px
or 1280px screen width in original then after it is finished to implement
the script that will react to current window width/resolution of the
user during and after load time. So that graphics can get stretched
to about 1600px screen width resolution without visible impact on
picture quality, since its only 25% bigger.

if 1280 is 100% than 1600 is x% ;
x = 1600 x 100 / 1280;
x = 125%

And in case you've coded for 1024px, when stretched to 1600px
it is only 56.25% bigger - still no visually noticeable quality degradation.

But in higher extremes of stretch, stretch script restrictions should
apply, same with the downsize when screen becomes to small.

I've already made a prototype page layout design that can be safely
stretched from at least 540px to 1600px without breaking the layout,
when to small, and without becoming ugly when at 1600px width.

The formula above is absolute necessity for dimensional conversions
of your existing code from older pages.

Although I still haven't written the width limitation script, (but if I manage
to do so) I will also keep in mind  16:9 aspect ratio screens to solve both
situations.

Thanks for your input, it was very inspiring.
Regards.
                                      Troy III
                         progressive art enterprise