[Theforum] Responsible public list practices

Daniel J. Cody djc at members.evolt.org
Tue May 7 15:18:16 CDT 2002

Seb wrote:

> In addition to comments I have already made on [theforum], I would like to
> point out that I am now absolutely enraged by something that appeared in my
> work inbox today.
>
> I'm sure there are many people that read thelist from work.
>
> If I was caught reading an email list with the most recent porn/spam
> subject visible I WOULD BE FIRED ON THE SPOT.
> (cf: The message sent to [thelist] on Tue, 7 May 2002 11:13:08 +0200 (MET
> DST) by "support at winzip.com")
>
> Let me reiterate that for those that have so far been blase about this
> topic:
>
> IF I WAS CAUGHT READING A PUBLIC EVOLT.ORG LIST WITH A PORNOGRAPHIC SUBJECT
> LINE, I WOULD BE FIRED FROM MY JOB.
>
> Until such time as those few who make decisions regarding mailing list
> management realise the social impact of their decisions, I will no longer
> be able to contribute to any list that allows non-subscriber posting.
>
> Unfortunately, at this time this precludes me from thelist, thesite, and
> until I receive further information to the contrary, theforum and thechat.
>
> If the decision is made to leave in place the current ability for
> non-subscribers to post, then I would like to recommend a prominent warning
> be placed with any list sign-up explicitly stating that due to list
> management, it is highly likely that pornographic material may be received,
> and that evolt.org is not suitable (or even legal) viewing for minors, or
> those accessing it from their place of employment.

'highly likely' seb? wtf. that bad an email has happened once. in 38
months and over 200,000 email messages.

i realize you're pissed, and i'm sorry about that, but you don't get
*any* other spam email like that, at all??

i don't really feel like responding to the rest of this atm, sorry. i am
working on new features if i could ever drop out of my email client and
back into my editor.