[theforum] evolt.org Drupal proof-of-concept. First draft

Jeff Howden jeff at jeffhowden.com
Tue Nov 16 03:33:07 CST 2004

> http://evolt.userfrenzy.com
>
> We (#evolt on irc.evolt.org) have made a first stab at dragging
> thesite's content into Drupal.
>
> Stuff that's wrong with it at the moment:
>
> 1.  Lots of articles haven't terminated properly and include
>      extraneous material from thesite's HTML at their foot
>
> 2.  Almost no articles have yet had their 'teaser' copy made and
>      appear in indexes as headlines-with-no-copy
>
> 3.  About 1/3 of users aren't associated with their email
>      addresses.
>
> 4.  All passwords were reset

There's so much wrong with this it's a laugh that your list is only 4 long.

Code snippets are wacked.

Strike that, the HTML for the body of articles is wacked.

None of the articles have comments.

URLs are completely devoid of valuable information.

Any search engine relevance we enjoy today will be quickly gone.

Any on-site links in articles are totally messed.

Pictures/files are missing from every article.

What happened to the FAQ portion of the site?

What happened to the site contact management piece go?

There aren't any ratings anywhere to be seen.

Colors only are used to designate fields that don't pass validation.

Every page request makes a demand to set a session cookie on my computer -
no thanks.

Either the search engine *sucks* or something needs to be done with the

The source of the site is filled with all sorts of <span></span> nonsense.

How exactly does one go about posting an "article"/node/whatever?

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> Can I use this to persuade you all that this is an
> *eminently* achievable goal, and while we're at it, to
> also point out that evolt.org's 6th Birthday is 30 days
> from now?

Apparently you haven't been listening to anybody (minus a precious few on
that side of the pond anyway) when it was discussed that rebuilding from
scratch was a bad idea.  Re-implementing it in something else falls under
that category, in case there was any doubt.  I fail to see how something
like this will actually *replace* what we have now.  Grasshopper, you've got
*much* work yet to do.

Jeff