[theforum] evolt.org Drupal proof-of-concept. First draft

Martin Paul Burns martin.burns at uk.ibm.com
Tue Nov 16 06:12:29 CST 2004

Jeff wrote on 16/11/2004 10:33:07:

> > http://evolt.userfrenzy.com
> >
> > We (#evolt on irc.evolt.org) have made a first stab at dragging
> > thesite's content into Drupal.
> >
> > Stuff that's wrong with it at the moment:
> >

> Code snippets are wacked.
> The source of the site is filled with all sorts of <span></span>
nonsense.
> Colors only are used to designate fields that don't pass validation.

HTML issues. Resolvable with evolt skin, which is small beer.

> None of the articles have comments.
> There aren't any ratings anywhere to be seen.

Known issues, already noted in John's original which you didn't notice.

> URLs are completely devoid of valuable information.
> Any on-site links in articles are totally messed.

Resolvable. These are the same thing.

> Pictures/files are missing from every article.

Resolvable. Having banned the IP address in question from accessing
evolt.org without authority from your client (evolt.org), I would assume
that you've realised that all the content is derived from a quick and dirty
screenscrape of the HTML. When you provide the db, much of this will be
resolved.

> Either the search engine *sucks* or something needs to be done with the

Resolvable - I'd assume that it's the index as it works fine on other
drupal sites, with more functionality than is provided at present on weo

> What happened to the FAQ portion of the site?

Given the number of articles migrated in 6 hours work, I don't believe this
to be a problem.

> What happened to the site contact management piece go?

http://drupal.org/project/feedback
Looks like a drop-in module will fulfil much of the functionality.

> Every page request makes a demand to set a session cookie on my computer
-
> no thanks.

> How exactly does one go about posting an "article"/node/whatever?

I doubt that that documentation will take 30 days to write.

> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
> > Can I use this to persuade you all that this is an
> > *eminently* achievable goal, and while we're at it, to
> > also point out that evolt.org's 6th Birthday is 30 days
> > from now?
> ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
>
> Apparently you haven't been listening to anybody (minus a precious few on
> that side of the pond anyway) when it was discussed that rebuilding from
> scratch was a bad idea.

>  Re-implementing it in something else falls under
> that category, in case there was any doubt.

Jeff, you have a fundamental error in your understanding. Reimplementing it
in something else is *the diametric opposite* of the bespoke development of
rebuilding from scratch.

This 1st draft is *exactly* what evolt.org wanted, which is customising a
packaged CMS. Please re-read
http://lists.evolt.org/theforumarchive/Week-of-Mon-20041101/001052.html
which defined the terms.

I'm extremely concerned that (amongst others):
1) You failed to read John's post
2) You responded inappropriately to a first draft proof-of-concept,
deciding to apply criteria more appropriate to a final deliverable
3) You failed to understand the difference between bespoke development and
customising a packaged solution
4) You have failed to respond to requests from evolt.org to hand over
evolt.org's database to its owner
5) You also seem to be blocking evolt.org members from visiting the site
without authority from the site owner.

I'm also extremely disappointed with your paranoia and negativity. No doubt
you'll respond with a "You're not my dad" type email, as previously.

However, for now:
1) Please comply with the request to provide evolt.org's data
2) Please desist from blocking users from accessing the site until such
time as you have permission to do so.