[theforum] evolt.org Drupal proof-of-concept. First draft

Jeff Howden jeff at jeffhowden.com
Tue Nov 16 13:13:31 CST 2004

Martin,

> [...] Having banned the IP address in question
> from accessing evolt.org without authority from
> your client (evolt.org), [...]

Banned because it generated over 3 times as much bandwidth usage in the past
few days than is normal.  Seeing as how that affects not only *my* costs but
the overall cost of the colo room, I have that right.

> [...] much of the functionality.

It seems you'd rather do that than provide *all* of the functionality in so
many places.

> Jeff, you have a fundamental error in your understanding.
> Reimplementing it in something else is *the diametric
> opposite* of the bespoke development of rebuilding from
> scratch.
>
> This 1st draft is *exactly* what evolt.org wanted, which
> is customising a packaged CMS. Please re-read
> http://lists.evolt.org/theforumarchive/Week-of-Mon-20041101/001052.html
> which defined the terms.

Voted on by exactly how much of "evolt.org"?

I heard plenty dissenting opinions as well.

> I'm extremely concerned that (amongst others):
> 1) You failed to read John's post

I read it just fine.  I just chose to reiterate some of the things he listed
as missing.  So sue me.

> 2) You responded inappropriately to a first draft
>    proof-of-concept, deciding to apply criteria
>    more appropriate to a final deliverable
> 3) You failed to understand the difference between
>    bespoke development and customising a packaged
>    solution
> 4) You have failed to respond to requests from
>    evolt.org to hand over evolt.org's database to
>    its owner
> 5) You also seem to be blocking evolt.org members
>    from visiting the site without authority from
>    the site owner.

There's a lot of finger pointing without taking any responsibility for your
own part in this whole mess.  I'm going to resist the urge to respond to
each item above in detail because they're all filled with power-packed,
emotional words designed to get a rise with more opinion than fact/research
behind them.

Jeff