[theforum] [Fwd: [thelist] found a mirror of thelist archives]

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Thu Oct 25 08:03:22 CDT 2007

On 25/10/2007, David Kaufman <david at gigawatt.com> wrote:

> >> Why not allow our discussions to be shared widely?
> >
> > Because we don't own the material in our list archives.  See the
> > chapter on "how evolt.org came into being in the first place" for
> > more details.
>
> So you're saying that, since we don't own the material, we cannot restrict
> anyone from copying, or it any way they see fit?

No.  I'm saying that the people who wrote that stuff own
the copyright on it and copying our archives without permission
is a gross violation of their copyright.

I include myself.  I knew there was an archive at evolt.org
when I posted the message.  Some random wanker copying
my stuff and slapping an advert on it, by contrast, is completely
different and I certainly didn't give them permission to do so.

I also didn't assign anyone at evolt.org the right to countermand
that on my behalf, so no, you can't tell $someone_else that it's
OK to copy the archive.

> >> We allow people to mirror our content in the browser archive...
> > I wasn't aware we wrote Internet Explorer.
>
> I see.  Same point.  Not our content to restrict.

I assume here, where you take the way copyright works in every
jurisdiction on the planet and state the exact opposite of it,
that you're just being obtuse.

jh