[thelist] Timing Out A Pop Up Window

J. Ross Dishner ross at designcc.com
Thu Aug 17 15:47:50 CDT 2000

I've got a client site that will require pop up windows to display
fabrics selected from a selection of thumbnails. I have a handy
javascript that automatically closes pop up windows upon selection of
another page or thumbnail. My concern is for those without java
enabled browsers or with java disabled. This script does not work at
all without java.

I'd like to recognize if java is present and if not serve a different
pop up that will close after 15 seconds so when another fabric
selection is made if won't get trapped behind the parent window. I
guess this is two questions so I'll tip out.

1. how to recognize if java is present and serve the alternate window.

2. how to automatically close the window after a pre determined amount of time.

<tip type="1099 Contractor Tip">
Visit http://www.irs.gov/ and get your free copy of the SMALL
BUSINESS RESOURCE GUIDE. It is extremely handy and has everything we
as contractors need to know about preparing our taxes. Also go to
your local office supply and pick up a mileage book. I was surprised
how wrong I had been in calculating my mileage. It made a difference
of nearly $500 dollars in deductions this year alone. Besides, I
bought it for my business, it's deductible. Can't beat that.
</tip>