[thelist] <P> vs. <BR><BR>

Daniel S. O'Shea doshea at surfree.com
Tue Jul 17 22:26:19 CDT 2001

Tony,

Brought this up in a TIP a bit ago. Most responded negatively, a few
responded positively. (I say that not in putting down the 'negatives', as I
can see their rationale.)

However, I use <br><br> a lot. Why?

I do a lot of quick import of data into html tables using Frontpage. Before
learning manual code, I used <br><br> to resolve a line spacing problem
quickly.

Also, I import a lot of statistical info into static html tables (As well as
using sql queries in databases for other data). The static tables are
converted easiest and cleanest in wordpad. However, I get a lot of <P>'s in
the html. So I set a stylesheet class up with just P. Of course, the font,
layout, etc., is fantastic in all those tables. Ooops...but in all other
places I want to use the <P>, I will get that style also if I call the
external sheet. Problem is, in those other pages, I don't want that style.
So I use the <br><br>.

Now, for some, this just ain't kosher. But for me, it is the lesser of two
evils dealing with masses of data in static tables. With the XML talk here,
I'm just beginning to get my tippy-toes wet and hopefully this may correct
this, unless there is another way...oh but that's all for another day...just
my little input on the double break point...tennis anyone?

Dan O.