[thelist] [OT] Anyone read Chinese? What was this search for?

Ray Hill lists at prydain.com
Fri Jul 20 20:43:39 CDT 2001

> Anyone know what they were searching for here:
> http://usa.pchome.com.tw/cgi-bin/search?key=%B3%5D%ADp&pg=7&con=c

Not really.  But by copy/pasting the page into FrontPage, I at least
found out that the alternate representation for their search string is
as follows.  Maybe that'll help you track down the translation if you
can find the right character reference.

   設計

I tried putting that string on a web page and feeding it through
Google's language translation engine, but they apparently aren't
supporting Chinese on that part of the system yet.

Alta Vista's Babelfish does theoretically support Chinese, but
apparently not the right character set, since neither the text nor the
web page yielded a translation to English.

> I'm guessing they must be using the dmoz.org database (which
> is cool) - but when they search - are they searching in English
> or Chinese? And how does /that/ work?

Since it's the Chinese version of the site, I imagine they entered the
query in in Chinese.  I would guess that, since most of the web is in
non-Chinese characters, their search engines might translate into
other languages for the search, then back to Chinese for the display.
But I'm really not sure.

--ray