[thelist] cflock reads?

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Jan 21 21:55:20 CST 2002

> When you read from a variable without locking that is being written to it
> does not do any checking at all, and just goes into RAM and grabs it.

sounds fine to me, actually

> Its very tedious to lock all reads, so you might want to look into the
> "AutoMatic Read Locking" feature in the ColdFusion Administrator (as of
> CF4.5 and up), so that you only have to lock writes.

but suppose i don't want to lock reads at all?

remember, all i'm talking about is SESSION variables

if it's the same user who is both reading and writing at the same time
(which i *still* don't see how it can happen) then he should *want* to take
whatever value of the session variable he gets, whether it's the old one or
the updated one

and if the write has an exclusive lock on it, i don't see how the "memory
errors that crash the server" (as chris put it) can happen

either (a) i'm *REALLY* stupid, or (b) you guys aren't  explaining well
enough why i have to lock session variable reads, or (c) cf is *way*
dodgier than i thought...

my money's on (b), with (a) a close second...   ;o)

rudy