[thelist] (Intel + Linux) vs (Sun + Solaris)

Samir M. Nassar nassarsa at redconcepts.net
Sun Apr 14 17:36:00 CDT 2002

<cite>
> If you want anyone to actually believe that x86 and Linux aren't reliable
> you are going to have to point out specifically what is wrong with them.
> Other wise we will be left to assume you it is a user problem.
</cite>

Hear hear.

I went from Windows to Linux cold penguin, so to speak, and the first
month was hellish. It was easy to blame things on how crappy Linux was.

Until I dug my head out from between my glutes I wanted to treat Linux
like a free version of Windows, and think like a windows (Solaris??)
user. Maybe thinking of Linux as Linux might help your problem Sasha.

Remember man pages, google, Linux Users Groups, and IRC are your friend.
(better informed that MSFT techlines, cheaper, friendlier (mostly),
years of experience) And the hell of it is this, many LUG's lean heavily
towards prgrammers and net/sys admins so if anyone can help, they can.
If you can articulate your problem in English, French, German, or
Spanish then you probably find it on the web.

As for x86 it is very simple; x86 is ugly, you know it, I know it, the
world knows it. Then why do we use it? Because it works. It is as simple
as that. Not only that, it actually works really well when you have a
good operating system to power the hardware. In my most unhumble of
opinions I'd have to say that the only good candidates are Windows 2000
(specifically) and Linux (in general).

Hey, knock yourself out, use Sun/Solaris to your hearts content, but
follow Matt's advice and back up your statements if you want to go into
OS bashing. After all, nobody knows the limitations of Linux better than
the people who use Linux. Especially admins.

Samir M. Nassar
member: Twin Cities Linux User Group  - http://www.mn-linux.org
Open Source, Open Systems, Open Borders, Open Minds.