[thelist] dynamically placed divs

Stephen Caudill SCaudill at municode.com
Wed Dec 4 10:51:01 CST 2002

Hi Roger,
  CSS allows for fixed positioning which would make a div appear statically in one spot on the screen regardless of scroll.  Here is a link to the spec:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#fixed-positioning

unfortunately, IE does not support this portion of the recommendation yet (Gecko browsers do it fairly well though) , so there is always the DHTML method:

http://javascriptkit.com/javatutors/static3.shtml

which IMHO, looks a little hokey (not to say this example couldnt be spiced up some, but the motion on every implementation of this I have ever seen has been rather jerky)...  You may try doing some more searching using the keywords "fixed" or "static" rather than "floating" or "dynamic".

HTH,
Stephen