[thelist] pros/ cons of using relative links

David Turner david.turner at synergy.tv
Tue Jun 17 06:21:08 CDT 2003

hi all,

i have come from a delphi background, and been thrown in at the deep end
with web development, and a bit more worringly web development project
management.

one of the things that has become apparent is that the developers we are
using upload the code directly to ISP, whereas i would like them to send the
code to myself to test first.

to enable this i have added direcories to my wwwroot and test away using
http://localhost/project1 etc...

however the developers dont use relative paths... this means lots of missing
images/ style sheets not being picked up etc.

so i am about to insist that new projects all use relative links.

what is the concensus of the list about the merits of this? [i was going to
say the relative merits but... :-) ]

cheers,

david.

ps. all development is done using asp, javascript and MSSQL
pss. when i say relative links, i mean they should use ../images/david.gif
rather than /images/david.gif