[thelist] OT: Windows 2000 Networking - Solved.

David Mitchell dave at dbmdata.com
Thu Nov 13 19:09:35 CST 2003

Hi Ken,

Yes, I had tried that several times and it would actually hang explorer.
I was not able to ping the machine in question by the ip address either.
Basically the problem came down to this: The 2 Win2k Pro boxes on the
network could not talk to eachother. They would show up in the Net
'Hood, but trying to browse them would hang Explorer as well.

What  I did to get it working was:
1) shutdown all the machines on the network
2) unplug the router, plug it back in
3) start all machines up again.

Everything works fine. I still think that the Linksys had something to
do with my woes, since I have had other strange networking issues since
installing it (as is probably painfully evident, I am in no way a
networking guru).

Thanks for all your insight, Ken, and thanks to everyone else who helped
me out with this.

Cheers,

Dave