[thelist] Local apache

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Tue Jan 27 09:25:29 CST 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Is it possible to configure Apache so that it translates absolute links
> to the respective document root? I've tried aliasing, but that only
> works for one website. I've also read about virtual hosts but that seems
> to require a DNS server

No. You want to use virtual hosts, and you don't need your own DNS.

Put the hostnames you want to use in your local hosts file (if *nix
it's /etc/hosts[1], if Win it's C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
or similar). It's as simple as:

192.168.10.20	realhostname dev1 dev2 foo newclient

Then you can access all your test sites as http://dev1, http://dev2,
http://foo, http://newclient, etc.

I have a virtual host "docs" where my local copies of documentation
live, so I can just type `docs/Java` or `docs/HTML` into the location
bar...

[1] depending on your flavor of *nix, you may have an 'nsswitch.conf'
file that tells the system where to do name resolution. If you do,
edit appropriately.

Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

                           dream.  code.