[thelist] Explorer market share down in 2003?

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Fri Jan 30 09:26:31 CST 2004

Peter-Paul Koch wrote:

> In an interview in the Singapore Straits Times (now unfortunately
> offline), browser expert Charles Upsdell was quoted saying he thought
> Explorer had lost about 5% of the market. I myself am more cautious
> and conservative, and would settle for 1 to 2%.

    Charles Upsdell has a web site that cites vaguely similar statistics on
it [1], although there he claims that roughly 85% of users browse with one
of the flavors of IE, down from a high of 94% (he doesn't say when that high
point was reached). Personally, I find that 94% figure a bit hard to believe
and suspect that IE usage was never that high. He suggests that
approximately 6% use a Gecko-based browser, although reading the details
shows that this figure is derived with a large measure of guesstimation.
    Probably the most-balanced statistics would come from Google, but as far
as I am aware, they don't provide browser-usage statistics for their site.

1. http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/stat_trends.htm

James Aylard