[thelist] Odd popup/DIV window

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 13:32:51 CDT 2004

Hi everyone,

I'm having an odd issue with some kind of pop-up. I saw it happen a
few times before I began using my HOSTS file to block ads. What
happens is some kind of chromeless window pops up. It might be a DIV
or something else, I'm not sure. It's usally all graphics and has
some kind of close button. It seems to spawn in either IE or Netscape
- I don't think I've seen it in FireFox.

Now that I am blocking ads - what happens is this "window" pops up
with a broken image instead of the content (since it is being blocked
by the HOSTS file). You can see the 'outline' of the window and the
broken image placeholder, but you CAN NOT close the window in any way
- because the 'close' graphic is not visible.

If I close all browsers (in fact, close ALL apps) it does NOT go
away. The only way I can remove it is to re-boot. Nothing shows up as
running in the task manager as an application.

This seems to happen almost once a day and is getting very annoying.
Has anyone seen these windows - and do you know how to prevent them.
Even better - how do you get rid of them w/o rebooting?

I don't believe this is a virus/worm. I've run all the
spybots/adware/winPatrol utilities, etc and nothing comes up.

Tom

=====
http://www.Pixelmech.com/ - read my latest blog posting!
http://www.thywordistruth.net/ - Eternal Life

There is no missing link, just a fist shaken toward God.