[thelist] RE: Transition from Print to Web

Luther, Ron ron.luther at hp.com
Wed Feb 23 09:38:35 CST 2005

Steven Streight objected to an 'odd' job candidate:

>>Don't mean to sound cynical or bitter, but if you are
>>not highly experienced in a medium and its special
>>requirements and audience behavior, you should not be
>>coming up with concepts for the medium.

Hi Steven!

Let me take a contrarian point of view for a moment ...

Now, I'm not privy to the details at hand, but let's suppose
for a moment that this is a larger company and that the new
person is merely a *part* of the team - instead of being
the entire team. Okay?

In that context, this might not be a bad choice. If you are
looking to put together a team that can 'think outside
the box' ... then you need some diversity - folks that bring
different backgrounds and experiences to the table.

Yeah - you need to have some 'experts' around ... but it
can actually be a very good thing to throw an 'outsider'
into the mix once in a while.  Sometimes you get some very
interesting dynamics!

Take a look at some 'old school' ideas that came out of the
University of Wharton a while back about something they called
"the systems approach". It was kind of a formalization of the
idea that sometimes you can be 'too close' to a problem to
see the best solution. There are a number of success stories
that came out of that.

HTH,

RonL.

Gee - It's not like they suggested something stupid like making
an Economics major the lead singer in a rock band or something!

<somewhere Mick Jagger smiles />