[thelist] Chicken cam, UK

Carolyn Jewel Carolyn.Jewel at LEGACYNET.COM
Fri May 20 10:58:16 CDT 2005

Is it possible, affordable even, to set up a webcam so we can check on
the chickens.

****
Possible, of course.
Affordable - what's your budget?

I'm sure you could find a solar-powered battery to supply power to your
web cam/ wireless setup. Probably you don't want to stream video to the
website, but you could transmit a single image every set period of time
and seems to me the appropriate phone (at your end) could easily go to
that page and show you the current image.

Regarding the chickens, since I have experience with this (I live in a
rural area and we have several chickens) the greatest danger occurs at
night, since foxes and (here in the US) coyotes and raccoons are
nocturnal. Hopefully, your father has made sure such predators will not
be digging under the chicken coop. Trust me, they do that. On the plus
side, if that happens, they tend to run off with their victims so once
the sun comes up about all you'd see in the chicken coop is a few
feathers and claw marks where the hungry critter was digging.

Good luck

Carolyn J.

****This electronic mail message, and any attachments transmitted with it, contains confidential information, intended only for the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that the use, distribution, copying, or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail, and delete all copies of this communication from your computer and network. Thank you.*****