[thelist] Strange IE behavior

Robin Hastings robin.hastings at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 09:55:15 CST 2005

On 11/3/05, Juha Suni <juha.suni at ilmiantajat.fi> wrote:

> > Roger - thanks for looking at it for me. We just tested it on a
> > machine here at work and, even though the Acrobat program had been
> > updated, the EULA hadn't been accepted by the admin. IE crashed. We
> > went in as Admin and accepted the EULA - IE stopped crashing. What
> > gets me is that there is nothing on that page that should call the
> > Acrobat program. No PDFs or anything that Acrobat should be
> > reading...
>
> Your site uses some nasty javascript tracker script to track users and
> their
> system specs and installed software that is run at least on the front page

[snipped]

I am quite sure the dummy-pdf-object created by the trackerscript is what
> makes certain configurations crash violently.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Suni
>
> Yep - it helped immensely... Removing that bit of code fixed the issue on
the computers. What is odd is that that code has been there for years (the
person who actually coded this site decided they needed to know what
plug-ins were in use, I guess) and just started giving us fits on Monday.
Removing the code from our production server keeps the page from crashing.
I've still got it on our test server and the pages are still crashing there,
so I'm going with the fact that the code in that bit of JS is what caused
it. The scary thing is that I've not messed with the footer since the site
was created, so I'd never noticed that bit of code. I'd scrutinized the JS
in the head, but never noticed the JS in the footer! Thanks for looking over
this for me! I can't wait until our new server is in place and I can redo
the site from the ground up!!

--
Robin Hastings
robin.hastings at gmail.com