[thelist] Multiple RSS feeds

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Tue Mar 28 16:35:29 CST 2006

Message from Steven Streight (3/28/2006 04:14 PM)

>Have the client hook up with Feedburner.
>
>On my Vaspers the Grate blog, in my sidebar, I created a little graphic
>called "Feeds" and a brief explanation like "get my fresh posts direct
>delivered to your computer", then I display not only Feedburner, but buttons
>for Add To My Yahoo, XML, etc., but all going back to Feedburner site where
>the menu of options greets them again. I also have a link button to
>Bloglines.

Doesn't all this amount to putting more steps between your users and the
information they are seeking?

I read RSS feeds. I do it through my browser. I've never seen the point of
"services" like Feedburner, Bloglines, et al that basically give me exactly
what I can already get, except with the added requirement of having to
register.

Perhaps there is some social engineering benefit to being listed in the
feed services, but surely the benefits of those are best realised by people
who have never been to your site before, ie, they find your site
specifically through one of these services.

Why, then, would you direct someone already at your site to go to a third
party site, where he may just as easily get caught up in someone else's
feed and forget all about yours?

Unless I've totally misunderstood the point of these services.

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/