[thelist] JSP starter

Hassan Schroeder hassan.schroeder at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 08:07:57 CDT 2007

On 4/23/07, Robert Gormley <robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com> wrote:

> So I want to look at my next application being Java-based. JSP, Struts,
> or some other frameworks. Anyone able to share some tips or pointers,
> hints about setting up a Java dev environment, recommendations on
> frameworks, etc, would be most gratefully appreciated!

Install the latest JDK (1.6.x) and Tomcat (6.0.10). Install the latest Ant.
You won't need to know everything about Ant, but you will want to be
able to write/customize simple build scripts.

Oh, and install the JSTL -- standard taglibs. They will do a lot to help
you stay as MVC as possible, keeping only display logic in the View.

If you're using a database, get the appropriate driver and drop the
jar file (assuming the Tomcat above) in $CATALINA_HOME/lib.

My recommendation would be to stay away from IDEs for a while, so
you understand how things really work, but it'll help to have an editor
with good syntax highlighting of Java, JSP, and XML files.

Read the Servlet Spec. Seriously. There's no hope of understanding
this environment without doing that -- it's *not* CGI-using-Java.

I don't know how complex your application is, but regardless for a
first one I'd also stay away from "frameworks". Finding what's easy
and what's not *for you* developing without one will enable you to
then evaluate a framework for your next app. If you decide you even
care :-)  Personally I find most of the "frameworks" so overboard on
configuration that they're more trouble than they're worth. YMMV.

FWIW, and have fun!
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder at gmail.com