[Sysadmin] Next?

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Sun Nov 16 21:19:28 CST 2008

2008/11/17 Dean Mah <dean.mah at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 7:45 PM, David Kaufman <david at gigawatt.com> wrote:
>> But Drupal is not available in etch from the Debian package archives.  It's
>> available from backports, but only at version 5.  Lenny has Drupal 6, so it
>> may be coming to backports in the near future... but in the mean time I
>> guess that means we should install Drupal from source, at least for now,
>> since everyone seems to have their little hearts set upon the latest
>> greatest Drupalage.
>
> This brings up another question for me.  Do we stick to packages or
> build from source when a newer version is available.  There are
> packages for mediawiki and mailman but both are out of date.

Myself, I would tend to divorce mailman (a service) from mediawiki and
Drupal (web apps) in terms of whether being in apt matters a stuff.

Are there substantive differences between the mediawiki and mailman
packages versus the current releases?  List.org, helpfully, doesn't
appear to have a changelog anywhere.

Drupal does now have the ability (with a rather nicely secured module)
to "self-heal" from its web interface on demand, if memory serves.
Since none of its modules are in apt anyway I don't see much sense in
using a packaged version.  Indeed, isn't WEO currently being served
out of my home directory?

[That latter horror, David, is why some of us are keen to get it right
to begin with this time :)  It's never convenient to change
infrastructure stuff once it's been made to work, however
sellotape-ly...]