[thechat] What do you *really* do?

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Mon Apr 9 16:36:24 CDT 2001

Ron (et al), great idea =)

Obviously, we're all here because we have ties/work in the same arena. But
what do you really /do/ on a day-to-day basis? Park cars? Stare at a
monitor? Meeting-hop? Write HTML code? Write stored procedures? Rule with an
Iron Fist?

What do you *really* do at work? (hell, what about away from work?)

I work for an application service provider (buzzword bingo!), developing
web+ivr (telephone) applications in a 100% outsourced model (we develop and
house the web sites and telephone apps). Basically, companies ask us to
add/introduce extended functionality to stuff they already have. Timesheets,
claim status, surveys, front end to call centers, etc. It's a recurring
revenue model that has been profitable and pretty immune to the tech
industry's market travels. Our CEO can sell snow to eskimos. We're endorsed
by the ASA (American Staffing Assoc, formerly NATSS) --the only electronic
timesheet entry vendor that holds that endorsement.

I really sit at my desk: Interdev, Outlook, IE(5.5) and Netscape(4.72)
permanently open. I tend to spend about 50/50 doing new work and adding
to/tweaking/fixing/breaking old work. I babysit NT servers via pcAnywhere.
I'm also Grandpa Internet for the other developers (and sometimes the front
office). NT/IIS/ASP/SQL Server. Aside from one other person in the office
(office==entire company minus two sales folks; 13 people), I look/develop in
Netscape first then go to IE, and it kills me that none of the other
developers work that way. I wander around the office a couple times a day to
see what's going on. I don't get much "Zone" work done until the office
clears out. I scan, but rarely read industry m/rags. I'm really good at not
talking about work when I'm not at work. I wake up with a (sometimes
inexplicably random) song in my head 99% of the time. I fall asleep quickly,
and will hardly ever turn down a nap chance. Play hockey (ice and inline) at
least 3 times a week. And I'm an evolt admin.

You?

sgd
--
work: http://www.ti3.com/