[thechat] What do you *really* do?

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Tue Apr 10 10:09:45 CDT 2001

good thread.

I'm a senior design technologist (DT) for frogdesign (digital media),
recently moved to their austin, tx office. The DT is a funny role with
feet in design and tech. We're a go-between and resource for both
disciplines.  At its simplest I write and test lots of html -
prototyping designs and building templates.
Most of my day is spent sitting at my desk in the office, writing and
testing html/css, javascript and some perl (learning) when I've time.
Right now I'm working on a front end for an internal image/asset
archive, so I'm poking around in the documentation, finding lots of
bugs, eventually hoping it will work.
Site I worked on just launched: http://www.intershop.com  We delivered a
style and implementation guide with all the code components and a few
sample pages built out. On a good day this stuff sees use and the site
looks something like the delivered design.
Also been debugging our home page (http://www.frogdesign.com)... don't
get me started....
Tools: homesite, bunch of browsers (I left a cool test-station behind in
san francisco.. have to rebuild), some dreamweaver, photoshop and image
ready, apache (for local and cross platform dev/testing), many many
little utilities and cool tools.

I read a lot of email.

I have a stack of projects on the back burner (currently being partner
and dad is about all I manage outside of work). These include my potato
sculpture, lego mindstorms, stuffed toys and some web projects. slightly
lapsed personal site at: http://www.sam-i-am.com

Sam