[thechat] gas prices..

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Fri Apr 13 10:48:58 CDT 2001

Warning - I'm a car geek.  I wrote more than the couple lines I was
expecting to write...:).

On Friday, April 13, 2001, at 09:57 AM, Daniel J. Cody wrote:

> theres also the argument that higher grade gas is cleaner burning,
> better on your engine, and gives better performance..

I believe in Europe, there's less sulfur content in the gasoline.  Some
of the fuel here is crap.  The MBTE that they put in the winter fuel
sucks - it's poison.  I have to stand up-wind from the pump when I'm
filling up.

I think higher octane fuel might lead to better fuel mileage on some
cars.  My car, for instance, has a couple knock sensors in it (they
listen for 'pinging' and retard the timing to stop it).  Higher octane
means no ping, which means more timing advance, which means more power,
which means less throttle which means better mileage.

It's interesting to note that when folks with cars like mine replace the
computer with a higher performance one (adding some 50-60 hp), they seem
to get another 4-5mpg.  They use less throttle for the same power.  The
turbo works a little harder, and the fuel management is a little better.
I'll probably do it this spring (lusting over the thought of 300 hp on
tap), so I'll know more later.

The electronics in our engines (Dan - can't speak for everyone, but I
know yours) are very complex.  They measure the density of the air
coming in, the temp, all kinds of stuff - and they deliver the exact
amount of fuel that will burn cleanly in the cylinder.  High compression
motors love high octane and timing advance.  It's all good.

> for my car, they recommend at least mid-grade gas.(i always use
> high-grade though regardless)

Me too.  I don't want any pinging - it's bad for the motor.  Aluminum
pistons and stupidly expensive spark plugs are not fun to replace.

So.  Am I the only car geek?  The Trophy counts - even though it's a
bike, it's just too cool.

Martin - did you get the new ride yet?

bob

--