[thechat] What do you *really* do?

Tamara Abbey abbey at abbeyink.com
Sun Apr 22 17:42:41 CDT 2001

At 10:07 PM 4/22/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>realistically, i'd persuade them to give the machines to a local charity or
>non-profit org.  Although it may mean _you_ don't get the boxen, it will
>probably mean that someone gets the use of them.  We had a pile of 386, 486
>and P120 boxes in our office a cpl years ago that we gave to the local
>Unemployed Workers Centre - it meant that they weren't dumped or trashed,
>and they got a good home.

I would agree, but the way Hugh explained it, they won't do anything with them other than dump them in a dumpster. It's just a shame to think of 125 machines sitting there in a storage room waiting for a dumpster.

And, o.k., ulterior motive in my offer to help -- I do a web site for a non-profit that can't get funding cuz the former president hosed up the 501(c)3 and now the feds are making it extra difficult. But, she sure could use a machine. She's running an old Windows 3.1 box and has records on communities all over the state of Illinois in an ancient Excel spreadsheet and accesses the internet with AOL v3 due to the equipment she has. So, I would gladly liberate those machines for any good purpose Hugh may have, but I might just toss one in the cab too -- it would be for a good cause.

Hmm, actually, given Hugh's lineup, .....

Just kidding.
<tamara />