[thechat] Palestinians

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Wed Sep 12 14:48:45 CDT 2001

Sean German wrote on 12/9/01 8:26 pm

>I've heard the range of reactions to these attacks;
>none I would characterize as simplistic vengeance.

>>Time to start bombing these
>>assholes back beyond the Stone Age...
>>Now
>>THAT vermin needs to be wiped off the face of the Earth...

Several folks I've talked to on irc today say that that's mild
compared to some opinions on talk radio.

>With all due respect Martin, find some folks who were
>around when the bombs were falling on England.

That'll be pretty much everyone I know over the
age of 40. I'd also like to add that I have a large number
of friends from Northern Ireland. I *think* that
gives me some understanding of ineffective responses
to terrorism.

>Ask
>them if they had vengeance in their hearts, or
>survival.

And the vengence streak lead to martyrs and to
wrongful convictions, and to escalations of violence.

>But to respond to the world by throwing up your
>hands--you only get safety by sacrificing liberty, any
>response will just make martyrs, two wrongs don't make
>a right, a forceful response is just simplistic
>vengeance--I do not accept.

...and I would agree with you. I've been calling for
measured, deliberate, just responses, rather than the 'kill
everyone' responses which have been coming on this
list and elsewhere (not from you btw).

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at easyweb.co.uk             PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
       martin at members.evolt.org      snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
  tel: +44 (0)774 063 9985                      Edinburgh,
  url: http://www.easyweb.co.uk                 Scotland