[thechat] Developers without websites?

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue Mar 5 17:23:00 CST 2002

Judah McAuley wrote:

> I was curious to see how many people on this list *don't* have their own
> personal website.  I've been doing web development for going on 8 years
> now and I gave up on a personal site in 1996.  I was too busy working on
> sites for others and my own wasn't getting updated enough.  The web was
> starting to catch on and people started asking me about my web site but
> it was so horribly out of date that I finally just took it down.

If currency is a problem - I like the sgd way - make a one pager and
leave it there. At least people will have a stable way to get ahold of
you. :-)

> I've routinely pondered bringing a site up again, but haven't actually
> gotten around to it.  Anyone else out there not have a site?  I'd be
> curious to see why.  Or maybe I'm just a freak who needs to drag himself
> into the present (ok, no maybe about that).

I know lots of people who are developers without sites, I never quite
"get" how you can do this job and not have a site. But I've learned most
of what I know via lists and by experimenting myself. :-\

> And for those that do have a site, do you do it for yourself?  To
> communicate with others?  Do you worry about keeping it current?

It's mostly for me, but I've gotten jobs, showed off skills, and often
as a repository for things I do every day. I have my block of greek text
I like and I can google for "artlung greek" and find my stuff. it's the
same way for any number of code samples, etc. I also share pictures with
family, and maintain an addressbook (password protected), I also have
some artifacts from jenny and my courtship in a password protected area.
come to think of it I have every damn thing but the kitchen sink on my
site. :-\

What was the question again? :-P

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>