[thechat] conspiracies, was: [thelist] mainstream press and cookies

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu Mar 21 15:01:10 CST 2002

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 22:15, Lauri Vain wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> > http://rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_paranoia.shtml
>
> Now this is a good link!

Yea, it is a lot of fun. I should check to see if they're still not
accepting entries.

The one I want to submit to the virus section (or paranoia, I don't
mind) involves a relative and a friend of the relative -- the friend had
the relative convinced that a script virus had encrypted itself within
the static electricity on her monitor, passed itself to the other
monitor, and from there it infected the friend's machine (neither
machine is networked in any way). The virus turned her machine into a
'shell' and gave total power over the machine to 'the master'.

There are plenty of funny branches from the main story, including the
'h4x0r ips': 127.0.0.1, and the mystery of the cookies folder ("no,
they're not cookies, they're the master's files... you're living in a
dream world Andrew, do you want to spend your whole life inside the
master's shell?"). The friend is now affectionately known as Mad Mike.

Lol!

Cheers
Andrew