[thechat] Harry Potter (was: Donner party)

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Sun May 19 12:11:01 CDT 2002

At 10:32 PM 5/19/2002, you wrote:
>Thailand, but I suppose for a second language philosopher may be a bit
>difficult as the level of English here is very poor, but it annoys me so
>much when they change the title of many films for an American audience.

The HP books that were released here in India used "Philosopher", but the
movie stuck to "Sorceror".

>Do a lot of Americans really think that English is a completely
>different language and that America invented it!

That reminds me of something interesting. I went to University in
Australia. Some people, when they heard that I was Indian, would say, "Your
English is really good", to which I'd usually respond, "Thank you. So is
yours!" ;)

Madhu

Madhu Menon
madhu at members.evolt.org