[thechat] Do I want a yacht? Oh, how I do not!

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Thu May 30 20:34:01 CDT 2002

> paul, also remember that eddie drops shitloads of hints to keep people in
> the running until the $16k mark at least. they need to have contestants
> winning reasonable amounts to make it remotely interesting to watch.

Yeah. And I think I'm exactly the sort of person who will get hints. I'm
young (they were telling me they have a SERIOUS dearth of young people, they
love it when they get them), I'm married, I've got a tiny baby. I'd be
exactly the sort of person I reckon they'd like to see do well (not that
it's rigged, but...)

> so, if he says "are you REALLY sure?" 10 times on one q, you might have it
> wrong. :p

Well, I'm also a mad-keen Collingwood supporter. That HAS to count for
something too.

(for non-Aussies: Eddie McGuire, host of the Australian WWTBAM?, is also the
president of the Collingwood Football Club, the most loved and loathed
sporting club in the land. Those who support it are totally single-minded to
the cause; those who don't support it, though, hate it like they hate no
other club. The nearest international equivalent I can think of is
Manchester United (but Collingwood are MUCH less successful). Eddie also
calls Friday night football on TV, hosts a top-rating "footy chat show", and
writes a column in one of the nation's highest-circulating newspapers, all
leading to any number of allegations of conflict of interest. WWTBAM is
about the only thing he does which doesn't really conflict with anything).

Paul