[thechat] Audio Ripping from LPs Question

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Mon Nov 11 13:39:01 CST 2002

Ron wrote:

> I haven't been in a studio since then ... might be
> neat.  But I'm WAY worried about the price! Many years ago "mixing
> time" was $90 an hour ... I'm not willing to pay anywhere near that
> to take my vinyl collection to CD.

Feh! If anyone tries to charge you full-price engineering time for ripping
vinyl, they're doing you wrong. A quick check of the levels, and maybe a 2
minute run-through to get the tracking right, and they can back away and do
something else while it plays. I'm telling you, it's worth checking around.

The studio I've worked for charges a *maximum* of $35/hr for engineering --
more often $25, and for friends, $15.

Of course, that would still get expensive, if they want to charge you for
every hour of recording time. But I have to imagine that someone has done
some cost analysis and figured out that they can still make good bucks off
of their equipment while sitting on their butts. :)

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net