[thechat] The youth today...

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Dec 3 10:32:01 CST 2002

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Quackamoe wrote:

> --- Martin Burns <martin at easyweb.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > D whistle. Good sound and also plays easily in the
> > standard keys for most
> > traditional tunes from Scotland/Ireland/England.
> >
> Right, I want to use d whistle to play that kinda
> stuff, so the question is, what key should d whistle
> be?

D is the key. Cover all the holes and you're playing a D. Lift your left
hand fingers and you're playing a G. All fingers down and overblow and
you're playing a D the octave above (NB not all wind instruments overblow
the octave - those with a conical section skip the octave and overblow the
12th, the next one up in the harmonic series)

Cheers
Martin