[thechat] Islam

David Wagner dave at worlddomination.net
Thu Dec 19 15:54:01 CST 2002

deke wrote:
> Depends on the flavor of Christianity. The Roman Catholic church
> believes in a triune godhead. The Unitarians think it's a bunch of
> malarky. (I *think* the proper term is "malarky". They don't seem to
> use the term "heresy" much.)

As a Unitarian, I can confirm that "malarky" is one of the approved
technical terms, along with "goofy mystical bullshit".

Of course, that's just the party line, and if there's one thing the
Unitarian Universalist Association (http://www.uua.org) is all about, it's
questioning the party line. Historically speaking, though, Unitarians
reacted against traditional Christian trinitarianism, just as Universalists
reacted against predestination. Reactionary bunch.

Me, I'm utterly agnostic. I find it nice to belong to a church that not only
fully supports that fact, but actually encourages it. Some people seem to
object to the idea of an organized religion that doesn't have much of a
strict dogma, but I think it's perfect. Our local church has historically
hosted large Buddhist and pagan groups, which makes for some interesting
Christmas services.

--

David Wagner
dave at worlddomination.net