[thechat] Q for UK/Irish listers

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Sun Feb 2 14:53:01 CST 2003

> Right then:  Challenge TV is showing repeats of
> The Adventure Game (BBC2 show from late 70s/early
> 80s) at the moment.
> Can anyone remember or explain WHAT THE FSCK this
> show is about?  Cos from here it looks not only
> like a load of bollocks, but also a load of bollocks
> which doesn't even have any internal logic to it.

This actually took me completely by surprise when we discovered it by
accident a few weeks ago. The Adventure Game, as I remember it, used to be
fantastic, and I don't think it was just for kids because my mum used to
love it as well. If you search for anything about this show on the Net,
nobody has any videos of it, the general rumour was that the BBC had
destroyed the original tapes (quite a common practice in those days).
Somehow though, it just doesn't have the same appeal. I have a feeling these
repeats are from a later series and that my fond memories are of the
original shows. For instance, I remember the leader being a potted plant and
not a tea pot. But then again it might just be me getting old. One of the
programs I used to watch avidly was Battlestar Galactica, I'd be glued to my
seat for every episode. Watching it again a couple of years ago I saw a
whole different angle that, as a young child went completely over my head.
This was that the good guys spent more time chasing women (and using the
most excruciating chat up lines ever) than they did fighting the bad guys.

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk