[thechat] Asterix and Obelix Movie?

DESCHAMPS Stéphane DSI/SICOR stephane.deschamps at francetelecom.com
Fri Oct 3 03:16:32 CDT 2003

... to add to what William said, and considering I'm french:

> The first was Astérix et Obélix contre César (Asterix and
> Obelix Take On
> Caesar), with an English translation by Terry Jones, of all
> people!  Didn't
> matter, it was a bad movie.

Very.

> The second was Astérix & Obélix: Mission Cléopâtre (Asterix & Obelix:
> Mission Cleopatra, aka Asterix and Obelix Meet Cleopatra).
> Same primary
> cast, no such luxury of a Terry Jones translation, equally bad (imo).

Very funny when you're french and see it in french. The cast is brilliant, be it Jamel or Edouard Baer. But very french. Many jokes are very much "engraved" in french-belgian culture, like the original comics were, in a way.

I was not sure it could be funny if not seen from a french POV, which as you just confirmed is difficult.

> It seems there's another one planned for release in 2006,
> Astérix et les
> Vikings (probably one of my favourite books of the Goscinny
> et Uderzo era).
>   I'm in fear, frankly.

Uderzo has opposed a veto so far, it says on this side of the altantic.