[thechat] Pronounce URL

Paul Cowan evolt at funkwit.com
Mon Oct 6 05:01:12 CDT 2003

Jorah Lavin wrote:
> So... now I'm wondering if he just made that up, or if there is regional
> or sub-cultural variations in the way the term is spoken.
> What have you folks heard?

I've heard maybe 2 or 3 people use that pronunciation down this way
Australia), and it drives me bonkers, but not nearly as bonkers as people
who pronounce the "www" *in* the URL as 'dub dub dub'. THAT shits me to

Once 2 people who used these idioms were working together, and I swear
I heard the following exchange from 2 nearby desks:
	"What's the 'earl'?"
	"Dub-dub-dub dot (whatever) dot com."

It was all I could do not to leap across the desk and throttle them with
their own telephone cords.

Glad to get that off my chest,