[thechat] outburst

Richard Livsey richard at livsey.org
Thu Jan 20 19:26:52 CST 2005

Tara Cleveland wrote:

> In the US, women are 5 to 8 times more likely to be the victims of
> violence by an intimate partner than men.
> http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/vi.pdf
>
> In Canada, 85% of the victims of spousal assault were women.
> http://www.swc-cfc.gc.ca/dates/dec6/facts_e.html#a2
>
> And quite interestingly, "The BCS [British Crime Survey] estimates
> that there were 635,000 incidents of domestic violence in 2001/2
> (514,000 against women and 122,00 against men)... results from the
> 1996 BCS self-completion module on domestic violence were published in
> Home Office Research Study No.191. This more confidential approach to
> measurement revealed that the proportion of women that were victims in
> the last year of domestic assault was over three times higher than in
> the main BCS. "
> http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/dv03a.htm

Not sure where I saw/read it, but I remember something about the ratio
of reported to non-reported assaults being vastly different in cases of
women assaulting men, compared to men assaulting women. The report
mentioned this was mainly due to the social stigma of being beaten up by
a woman so most cases go unreported.

Pretty sure there was a campaign launched over here recently to raise
awareness, but again I can't remember the details off hand.

Would google about a bit but I'm on my way to bed - will have a look in
the am.

--
R.Livsey
www.livsey.org