[thechat] fantasy authors (was RE: Cadfael)

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 15:34:56 CST 2006

On 3 Jan 2006, at 18:00, Luther, Ron wrote:

> And what about 'edge cases'?  Lach mentioned Terry Pratchett.  While
> I enjoy his Discworld books very much and feel he is more talented
> than many writers, I'm not quite sure how far up the 'talented' list
> I would rank him.

I'm not sure he'd class himself as 'literature' anyway. This is a
bloke who laughingly disposes of all his drafting/pre-work at
publication with a "So long suckers" to future literary critics...

He's certainly very *literate* (you need to be to name a Raven
character "Quoth" and then get it to refuse to do "the N word"). He
was sending up the genre when Shrek was just a twinkle in someone's eye.

> So I guess I'll stick to some 'epic' fantasy recommendations,
> (none of which I would consider to be GREAT literature btw):

*Please* don't go near L Ron Hubbard ;-)

> And it would seem quite unfair to mention epic literary fantasy
> worlds and not mention Anne McCaffrey and 'Pern'.

*Please* don't give Peter Jackson ideas for what to do after The
Hobbit :-)

Cheers
Martin

 > http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/