[thechat] Presidenta Bachelet

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Tue Jan 17 14:21:27 CST 2006

I have been following the election to some extent and have been
impressed by her. She seems very strong and level-headed. Considering
what Chile has been through (and what she personally went through) under
Pinochet, I can see situations where reprisals are very tempting. She
seems to be above that and I think that is a good thing for the country
and the region.

 From my perspective as an American, the biggest implication of her
election is probably the confirmation of the leftward trend in South
American leaders. First Chavez, then Morales, now Bachelet. Admittedly,
she doesn't seem as far left economically as Morales, but I still think
it shows a strong sense of independence and a reaction to the policies
that the World Bank and the IMF have tried to push on SA. I'll be very
interested to see what impact this election has on CAFTA. Hopefully
we'll see a greater emphasis put on environmental and social concerns in
trade agreements in the future to produce more equitable trade amongst
neighboring countries.

Judah