[thechat] playing games and/or music

Erika Meyer ekm at seastorm.com
Thu Jan 8 13:41:25 CST 2009

Joel D Canfield wrote:

> my four older kids almost make me not believe in genetics. I *love*
> math. for fun. it is beautiful; gloriously and divinely beautiful.
>
> my four older kids all hate it. every one was reading before they
> started school. one still probably can't spell, but reads endlessly to
> this day.
>
> but math? two plus two equals a headache.
>
> my first successes in music were indeed because I finally realized the
> mathematical connection.

Well I was always one of the strongest readers in my class.

My daughter's speech/reading/writing issues (she's a FLUENT writer in
terms of ideas and volume, she just can't spell) are in fact inherited
from her father's side of the family.

My daughter's dad btw is essentially full-blood indigenous Californian.
   There WAS no reading or writing in that world, prior to the late
1800s.  Math was, of course, used for lots of indigenous technology, as
is 3-D structural engineering, which she is completely AWESOME at.   I'm
not sure if that has anything to do with daughter's situation, though.

Erika