[thechat] differentiating two authors in print

Stéphane Deschamps lists at nota-bene.org
Wed Mar 25 15:24:04 CDT 2009

<quote who='Joel D Canfield' when='25/03/2009 21:13'>
> my wife and I have  co-authored a book for virtual assistants. we both
> write in the first person. we're looking for a simple way to
> differentiate who's speaking, without having to say "Sue says" and "Joel
> says" all the time. we're looking for something which would have the
> same effect as talking to us at the same time on the phone: you'd know
> who's speaking by their voice.
>
> what would make sense to you while you were reading a book written by
> two people?

If it's whole chapters I'd either begin each chapter by "Joel says" or
by a picture. Or have a whole splash page for each chapter with its
author's name (like every collegial tech book out there).

You cold also use a system of graphical differenciation, either by
colour or font (or both) or using a different pictogram. I remember the
"for dummies" collection has those: one pic for "important", one for
"did you know", etc. You could elaborate on that idea.

--
Stéphane Deschamps
perso: http://www.nota-bene.org/